Thursday, December 3, 2009

What are my chances of getting into the University of Virginia or Maryland (College Park)?

I'm only a sophomore right now, but I feel that I need to know what it takes to get into prestigious colleges now as opposed to my senior year.



white male



resident of Maryland



dad went to UVA



GPA: 97.4 (our school doesn't use a 4.0 scale)



PSAT score: approx. 2000



member of soccer, basketball, and baseball teams



will apply for NHS



Class Rank: 4 (small school; I think about 350 kids/class)



***I am taking one AP class this year (US History) and our school has a curve of 1.1 for AP classes ( 88%=96.8%). I am taking the hardest classes that I can possibly take and I am planning on taking 5 AP classes during my junior year.



Obviously, at my age, I have a lot of work left to do. If I keep up my grades, do you think I will be able to get into UVA or UMD? If not, what can I do to improve my chances. If I don't have what it takes, feel free to be honest about it. Thanks!



What are my chances of getting into the University of Virginia or Maryland (College Park)?ncaa





yeah man, a lot depends on sat/act scores, extracurriculars are always very clutch (jobs, sports, church, clubs, ect.), if you're right on the line it may come down to an admissions essay. just shoot for over 1200 on the sat (excluding writing) or in the high 20's and up on the act (i personally preferred the act because there was no penalty for guessing, don't christmas tree though just use one letter for all of the answers you don't know, i always used "C"). don't worry about your class size, i certainly wouldn't call that a small school in the grand scheme of things. you'll likely lose about 50 kids by graduation (assuming you're in public school) be it due to early graduation, jail, pregnancy, dropping out, transferring, death (it's sad but just about true). universities love their test scores though, just focus on your strengths and be sure to have lots of things to list under "groups/organizations/clubs" and don't underestimate the value of a having (even a summer) job on your application.



What are my chances of getting into the University of Virginia or Maryland (College Park)?soccer ,nba teams



I would say that you have a good shot at either school. Your SAT would have to be at least that of your PSAT, and you would need to continue doing what you have been, but both, while selective schools, are probably possible from your vantage point. There is, however, never any guarantee, since it all depends on whom else applies the year you apply.
I think you're a shoe-in for maryland. I don't think they would reject you.



UVA could go either way. You've given yourself a great shot for admissions but that all you can do. Apply and see what happens. If not go to Maryland.
Assuming your score on the real SAT matches the PSAT, I think the question is not whether you'll get into Maryland, but how much scholarship money you can try and get out of them. Virginia may be trickier because you're not a resident and it is a more competitive school overall, but if you keep up the good grades and test scores and take leadership roles in your extracurriculars, you'll stand at least as much of a chance as any other applicant.
UMD definitely. It's not hard to get in to at all.



UVA, maybe. It's always really hard to tell with schools as prestigious as that. Just do well on your SAT's and SAT II's...and you need some volunteer work on your resume too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
necklace