Thursday, December 3, 2009

What are my chances of getting into University Of Chicago or Harvard.?

I'm currently 17 years old and my high school GPA is a 4.62. I want to become a General Surgeon and do research on The AIDS virus when I get older. I have been class president for three consecutive years. I have been takingcollegecourses at a communitycollegefor two years now. I am a Certified Nursing Assistant, Phlebotomist, Medical Assistant, and Surgical Technologist. I am on the basketball team and track team. I am also In the National Honors Society. I tutor high school Individuals. I took a practice ACT test and received a 35 composite score. Is there anything else I can do like perhaps put in service hours for the community?



What are my chances of getting into University Of Chicago or Harvard.?basketball





General surgeons don't do AIDS research, but it's nice to hear you care.



You have fantastic experience already. While you may wish to add to it, continuing your work as a CNA, MA or Surgical Tech is certainly sufficient for an admission committee to recognize that you have seen the real world of health care (which is the point of volunteering).



As for applying to a medical school....don't be fooled into thinking that a Harvard medical school is better than a University of Marland medical school. The "Big Name" schools have the big names because of their residency programs and their research. I used to work at Johns Hopkins, which is world renowned...and believe me, their medical students weren't any better or brighter than the other medical students. The best undergrad and medical school to go to is your own state's university. You'll have your best opportunity at being accepted plus you'll pay a state resident's tuition. After you have completed medical school is when you want to attempt to get into the best program for the specialty that interests you. But don't be surprised if the best residency program for your specialty isn't at a world-renowned institute.



Here's a good site to learn about the process of becoming a MD: http://people.howstuffworks.com/becoming...



If you want to learn more about the various medical specialties, try this site: http://www.abms.org/Who_We_Help/Consumer...



And, if you want to learn what programs teach the specialties that might interest you, go here: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category...



What are my chances of getting into University Of Chicago or Harvard.?hockey ,nba teams



With all that, dont feel pressured. I think you could practically got to anycollegeyou want. It wont hurt to apply to Harvard even though I know you have a good chance of making it.



Keep up the good work and good luck!
Community service never hurts. You sound like a fine candidate for either.
I agree, that sounds pretty good - past, current and future all accounted for.



Don't forget other great schools too - Stanford, Johns Hopkins, other Ivies, Duke, MIT, and other top state schools such as UC Berkeley, Univeristy of Michigan and well, I am sure you are looking into them all right now...



Good luck!
U Chicago definitely. Harvard--Ivies are always almost impossible to predict. It sounds like there's really nothing else you could do to improve your chances--although what is your SAT score? The ACT's are fine, but colleges on the East Coast often prefer SAT's, plus you'll need SAT II's (at least 2) and 5's on your AP tests (I assume you're taking AP's, otherwise you wouldn't think of going to Harvard or U Chicago.)



On a side note--have you thought of looking at Johns Hopkins? It seems like you would fit right in there considering what you want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
necklace